As a full-service school, Gardner Pilot Academy is committed to removing the non-academic barriers that prevent students from achieving success.
Therefore, the school places great emphasis on the physical and mental health of all students, with a particular focus on prevention.
- GPA relies on strong partnerships with health and wellness professionals, who provide a broad array of services in school.
- The Joseph M. Smith Community Health Clinic on site provides students, families and staff with immunizations, physicals, and treatment for common ailments.
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine offers dental services on site, including both preventative care and treatment.
- Boston College supports GPA’s efforts in nutrition education.
- GPA students engage in physical and recreational activity indoors and outdoors, including physical education classes and after-school enrichment clubs. Playworks engages students in organized, collaborative movement activities during and after the school day.
- GPA offers a full range of mental health services, including: evaluations; individual, group and family therapy; home intervention; consultations; workshops; and support groups for parents and staff. Services are provided through the Brighton Allston Mental Health Association, the Prevention Science and Practice Program at Harvard University and the Joseph M. Smith Community Health Clinic. Students are referred to specific mental health providers based on student need, parental consent, and insurance coverage.
- A school-based social worker serves uninsured and underinsured students during and after school. She also runs several group sessions designed to address relevant issues arising throughout the school year such as bullying, peer relationships, health and human sexuality, gender roles, leadership and mentoring.
- A registered nurse is on staff full-time at GPA.
- The GPA Wellness Council provides education, resources, and opportunities for students and staff to build healthier lives and a healthier environment. Composed of teachers, administrators, the school nurse, community partners, and parents, the Wellness Council focuses on healthy eating, physical activity, and staff wellness.
- The GPA Governing Board has approved a Healthy Snack and Beverage Policy for the school.